Data Management and Sharing Policy
NIH has a longstanding commitment to making the results of NIH-funded funded research available. Responsible data management and sharing has many benefits, including accelerating the pace of biomedical research, enabling validation of research results, and providing accessibility to high-value datasets.
NNLM Toolkit for the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy
Many of the resources in this toolkit were developed by the NIH DMSP Guidance Working Group of over 25 information professionals whose goal is to collect and create implementation guidance for the NIH DMS Policy to help researchers and research support staff (e.g. librarians, offices of research, etc.).
- Final NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing
- This policy requires all applicable research funded by the NIH to include a two-page "Data Management and Sharing Plan" that describes how the scientific data will be managed and shared.
- Policy Readiness Checklist for Librarians
- This policy readiness document created by the NIH DMSP Guidance Working Group is intended to be used by librarians who will be assisting researchers with the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy.
- Genomic Data Sharing Policy
- The NIH is working on harmonizing the requirements of the DMS Policy with this existing Genomic Data Sharing Policy. Genomic data sharing considerations should be described in DMS Plans using the DMS Plan elements and will be reviewed by NIH Program Staff. More details can be found in NIH notices NOT-OD-22-198 and NOT-OD-22-029.
Data Management and Sharing Plans
- Writing a Data Management and Sharing Plan
- Information provided by NIH about what needs to be included in a Data Management & Sharing Plan.
- Data Management and Sharing Plan Checklist for Researchers
- This checklist created by the NIH DMSP Guidance Working Group addresses the six required elements in the NIH policy.
- The Data Management Plan Tool (DMPTool)
- This is a free, open-source, online application that helps researchers create data management plans (DMPs). The tool in includes a template for the NIH DMSP and the DMPTool Blog provides up-to-date information on the DMPTool.
- Draft Data Management and Sharing Plan Template
- The NIH released this preview of the DMSP format and plans to provide a final fillable format version soon.
- NIH Sample Data Management Plans
- The NIH has provided sample DMPs that are consistent with the expectations in both the NIMH and NIH Notices. These include examples from clinical, human and non-human genetics, and secondary use DMPs.
- Example DMS Plans
- This example DMP directory was compiled from researchers, institutions, libraries and workgroups who shared their data management plans online from 2012-2022. It is intended to help researchers comply with the new NIH policy and will not be updated after publishing.
- NCDS On Demand Webinars
- This webinar series introduces the NIH requirements for data management and sharing, including “practitioner perspectives” – i.e., data librarians sharing their opportunities, barriers, methods, and successes as they work toward improving data management practices at their institutions.
- NNLM Research Data Management On Demand
- If you would like to learn research data management in general, you can explore topics such as open science and data science, data curation and documentation, data security, storage and preservation, and data sharing and publishing in these classes that you can take at your own pace.
NIH Scientific Data Sharing
Biomedical Data Lifecycle