Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Maps of St. Peter's Field / "Peterloo"
Books in the SHSU Library
Newspaper Accounts and Other Periodicals
The Times of London Digital Archive, 1785 to 5 years ago This link opens in a new window "World's newspaper of record." Covers all major international historical events. Every page of every issue, from 1785 to about 5 years ago.
British Periodicals I & II This link opens in a new window British periodicals, late 17th to early 20th centuries. History of Britain and its colonies, as well as a British view of events in America and the world.
Nineteenth (19th) Century Collections Online This link opens in a new window Monographs, newspapers, pamphlets, manuscripts, ephemera, maps, photographs, statistics, and other documents in both Western and non-Western languages. Primary collection themes are:
- Asia and the West: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange
- British Politics and Society
- British Theatre, Music, and Literature: High and Popular Culture
- European Literature 1790-1840: The Corvey Collection
C19: The Nineteenth Century Index This link opens in a new window Citations for millions of books, official publications, archival collections, and journal, magazine, and newspaper articles. Links out to full text when available (including many items in British Periodicals).
Terminology for Searching
- Realize that the name "Peterloo Massacre" didn't appear right away and may not have been used consistently until later.
- Try searching for just "Peterloo" without including "massacre."
- Try searching for "St. Peter's Field" and limit the Date range to a specific number of weeks, months, or years after the event.